Thursday, October 17, 2013

3 Artists + Mid-Semester Report

So far in the semester, we have covered an array of time-related readings, exploring artistic expressions of time, and having the opportunity to create our own two-dimensional works.  We have joined theory with practice, and pursued live-model charcoal drawing, as well as pastel drawing to music, and our first Time Visualization project.

All of these assignments have greatly expanded my horizons and artistic skills, as I'm mainly a photographer, and rarely tackle drawing of any sort, unless on the most basic level.  However, this class has encouraged me to not only leave my comfort zone, but to try to excel in it, and I'm motivated more than ever to put in hard work that will hopefully eventually lead to a proficiency in drawing.

I felt my Time Visualization project was a success for the most part, although I had originally wanted to use more recent negatives, instead of the older ones that I was forced to use due to time/equipment restrictions (lack of film, camera batteries, etc.)  In spite of this setback however, I felt that my intent was mostly unimpeded, as the process of developing the image, and the formal qualities of the image (e.g. repetition) became more important to the project's outcome than the subject within the photographs--I chose the negatives that I did purposefully, but certainly not strictly subject matter.

Although the project was a general success, I'm looking forward to the next assignment, which will be photography-based once again, but will be a time-lapse, and inherently time-based, unlike the static quality of photographs.  This, although somewhat familiar territory, is significantly less-traveled, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with this assignment.

The three artists I am considering for my project are all sound-based, as I find sound-based art interesting in not only its use, but its dependence upon environment to function--differing environments will completely change the acoustics of the sound, or how it expands within a space.

The artists I'm considering for my presentation are, so far (this will probably be subject to change) :


- Arnold Schoenburg

- Alvin Lucier

- John Cage

No comments:

Post a Comment