Thursday, September 27, 2012

Georg Nees: Artist Profile

  For my artist profile, I decided to research further the inspiration, methods, and works of the computer program artist Georg Nees.  Initially, I found his work aesthetically pleasing without even knowing of its digital origins, and unbiased by the knowledge of its artistic process.  In particular, I am referring to his work "Untitled (Gravel Stones)" which he created using a randomly-generating computer program and digitally-controlled "pen" to visually represent these random generations.



  I found this work's process particularly interesting; as it reminded me of the random "Zen" philosophy-inspired works of John Cage.  Although Cage's medium was less visually-portrayed than musical, the idea of controlled chaos, the carefully pruned random, I found to be quite similar.  It also very interestingly successfully and seamlessly ties together the worlds of computer programming and art in ways that I have never seen before; yet this piece was completed in the late 1960s.  





No comments:

Post a Comment