Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Three-Dimensional Scans

For this series of scans, I wanted to experiment with a wide variety of objects; to push the boundaries of the scanner and use it as a photographer would frame an image, but also in the traditional sense of scanning a two-dimensional object, which I have disappointingly little experience with.  As a result, these scans form a sort of displaced examination of the objects I happened to have in my bag at the time.  They are all quite personal to me, and have some sort of meaning in one way or another, but the question would be, is this still portrayed through this bland, naked examination of these objects, against a stark white background?  Will the viewer realize the personality in each item, or is that stripped by the complete lack of visually contextual background?  This is a question I would like to think about in the upcoming collage project. 

















For this last image, I wanted to explore and push the boundaries of the scanner, and think of it as a giant camera, to create an inverted, three-dimensional image that uses negative space to draw the viewer's eye around the work.  It is a collage of some sorts I suppose, although it consists of objects in my possession alone, and therefore would not be acceptable to submit as my collage project's final product.  However, perhaps it is a new idea for me to continue exploring?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is interesting that you scanned mostly 3-dimensional objects - so it will be kinda strange/cool to see how the class interprets/reuses these objects in their collages. Especially if anyone uses a heavy looking object like the camera.

    Also, I think that if anyone reuses your photograph scans that that could come out in some interesting ways.

    ReplyDelete